The Vestry is the “Board of Directors” for the parish corporation. The Vestry is the authoritative body of the Congregation and is subject only to the Diocesan and National Church Canons.
The Vestry is responsible for determining the policies and goals of the congregation and is to communicate with the congregation about the goals, concerns, and functioning of the Church in the modern world.
Vestry members are elected by the Congregation at the Parish Annual Meeting and is held on the 3rd Sunday each January. Trinity’s vestry members serve for three year terms and the wardens serve for two year terms.
Members of the Vestry may have committee or task force responsibilities, such as building and grounds, finance, stewardship, parish life, etc. Vestry meetings are held each month on the fourth Sunday following the 10 AM Service.
The Rector is a member of the Vestry, serves as the President of the parish corporation, and presides over meetings of the Vestry and Congregation.
The duties of the Vestry and its officers are prescribed in the Canons (bylaws) of the diocese and in the charter and bylaws of the parish corporation.
The Senior and Junior Wardens are Vice Presidents of the corporation. The Senior Warden and the Junior Warden are elected by the parish and hold the offices for two year terms. The wardens may be requested by the Rector to preside in his/her place.
The clerk (secretary) is a member of the vestry and is appointed to the position by the vestry members.
The Treasurer is appointed by the Vestry and is not a member of the Vestry.
The duties of the Vestry are:
- Take charge of the property of the Church
- Be responsible for all financial matters of the parish, specifically to:
- Prepare, approve and present an annual budget to the parish
- Oversee the financial affairs of the parish
- Assure that an annual audit is conducted and reported as required by Canon XX, section 2
- Undertake an adequate stewardship education throughout the congregation
- Regulate all the congregation’s temporal affairs
- Elect, with the approval of the Bishop, call a Rector, and provide for his/her maintenance
- Act as helpers to the Rector in whatever appropriate to lay persons for the furtherance of the welfare of the Church
- Maintain full record of minutes of meetings
Duties of the Senior Warden
- Shares privately with the rector insights, concerns, and issues facing the Congregation.
- Interpret the Rector’s role and expectations to the people.
- Act as consultant and advisor to the Rector.
- Support the Rector’s effort to make the committees of the church work.
- In the absence of the rector, to see that a supply priest is there for services.
- Make certain that a register of all Baptisms, Confirmations, Marriages, and Burials, as well as a list of communicants in good standing is kept.
- Prior to early February of each year, it is the senior warden’s responsibility to see that the Annual Parochial Report is submitted to the Diocesan Treasurer on the forms provided by the National Church and distributed by Diocesan Treasurer.
- See that the Key Personnel List, which includes Vestry and other parish personnel, is sent to the Diocesan Office immediately following the Annual Parish Meeting.
Duties of the Junior Warden
- The Junior Warden is responsible for the upkeep of church property and to maintain an up-to-date inventory. She/he also assists the Senior warden as requested.
Duties of the Clerk
- The clerk is the secretary of the Vestry and corporation.
- The clerk shall keep minutes of all meetings of the Vestry and corporation. The Minute Book shall include a current copy of the parish corporate charter, the current bylaws of the parish, record from the Internal Revenue Service of the parish’s Tax Identification Number, a copy of the Annual Report, a copy of the parish’s Certificate of Exemption from New Jersey Sales/Use Tax, Minutes of past meetings of the Vestry and Congregation, and other records thought appropriate.
Duties of the Treasurer
The Treasurer is appointed by the Vestry. The treasurer is the Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for the following:
- Preparing monthly financial statements and reporting the financial status of the parish to the rector, Vestry, and then the Congregation on a scheduled basis
- The parish financial records for pledges, receipts, disbursements, payables, and all assets and liabilities shall be maintained in accordance with the “Manual for Business Methods in Church Affairs.” Full disclosure of all funds entrusted to the parish shall be practiced
- Assist the vestry with financial planning, including preparation of the annual budget
- Insure that all financial aspects relating to the clergy are duly performed in a correct and timely manner. Such items as pension, health, dental, and life insurance premiums, housing, travel, sabbatical, continuing education, Social Security, and stipends are to be considered
- Establish and maintain the necessary controls and procedures to prevent the unauthorized use of parish resources
Committees of the Parish
Although there are standard or familiar committees established in most parishes such as Building & Grounds, Christian Education, Finance, Outreach, Worship, other committees or task forces may be formed to address whatever else the Vestry has found to be beneficial to the ministry of the Parish and Mission of the Church.
A Prayer of Thomas Merton
God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore, I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the deepest of shadows.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me alone.
No, you will never leave me alone.
Adapted from Thoughts in Solitude
The Rev. Andrew David Kruger
The Reverend Clive Oscar Sang
Anthony Francis Vitale
Mr. Anthony J. Rafaniello
- David L. Burnett, Senior Warden (2015-2016)
- Joseph Bardzilowski, Junior Warden (2015-2016)
- Elizabeth Broccoli (2017-2019)
- Linda Kurdilla (2017-2019)
- Lisa LaGreca (2015-2017)
- Al Lehmkuhl (2016-2018)
- Marion Nechuta (2015-2017)
- Nancy Noonan (2015-2017)
- Dr. Arthur Patchett (2016-2018)
- Dianne Pecoraro (2016-2018)
- Daniel Rivera (2017-2019)
- David Roberts, Treasurer Appointed (re-appointed 2017)
- Linda Kurdilla, Clerk Appointed (2017)
- Youth Vestry Member (2016) – TBA
Joan Cornell, Tom Cornell, Linda Kurdilla; alternates Kenneth MacRitchie and Tony Vitale
Lynn Kiamie-Bianchini, Ralph Bianchini, Holly Ives, Holly Ives, Doreen Stromko, James Willix, Stephanie Willix;
alternates Tom Kaercher, Linda Kurdilla, Kenneth MacRitchie, Tony Vitale, Carol Willix